[clue] CentOS new user experience.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Dec 21 08:58:26 MST 2015

I got asked about using RHEL recently.  Since I'm not a Red Hat customer I looked at CentOS.  How
disappointing.

So I go to centos.org and click the friendly Get CentOS Now button.  That tells me i can get the DVD
ISO, Everything ISO, or Minimal ISO.  Where does it tell me what the difference is?  Not the FAQ or
anything else I could find.  Pity.

I can't click on one of the friendly buttons (DVD ISO seems likely, since it's first).  That just
tells me I can't download .iso files directly.

So I use the less obvious "via Torrent" link.  You'd think that might give me a button, or
directions on feeding my torrent client.  No, I get a list of mirrors (that's not all bad, now I
have a list of files I can get (.torrent and .iso)).

Pity the learning curve isn't more flat.  I guess if I wanted to get a DVD and install I'd ask
Google and follow the directions off some guy's blog rather than just going to centos.org.  Oh well.

Thanks for listening!