[clue] CentOS new user experience.

Mark G. Harvey markgharvey at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 23 15:10:23 MST 2015

Having spent a 3 month contract at a Fed Gov't contractor who used RHEL & had a support contract, with Satellite, I can tell you that support was less than stellar.
We must have had 20+ support cases open with RH about Satellite alone.  It appears in the latest incarnation of Satellite 6.x, RH "re-engineered" it by cobbling together Foreman & other open source projects.  Certainly not ready for prime time.  More like a 1.0 product release.
We were trying to connect RHEL 6.x machine accounts to AD & the customer wouldn't pay for any RH or 3rd party tool.  RH suggested FreeIPA.  Having experience with LDAP, I found it to be half baked at best.
Any tool RH has that is worth a damn ain't free.  But this is probably typical of most software vendors.

Got to agree with Dave, that most of the time, we had to search for & implement workarounds ... which of course ate up valuable time & man hours.

In the developer world, it looks like Ubuntu is king.  Not sure why, but maybe its the support?