[clue] CentOS new user experience.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Dec 24 21:31:12 MST 2015

Mark G. Harvey wrote:
> We must have had 20+ support cases open with RH about Satellite alone. It appears in the latest
> incarnation of Satellite 6.x, RH "re-engineered" it by cobbling together Foreman& other open source
> projects. Certainly not ready for prime time. More like a 1.0 product release.

That's interesting.  Satellite has been out for several years and although I was never anywhere that
bothered to use it, it seemed to be in reasonable shape.  (We talked at one point about using
Spacewalk but that never went anywhere.  RH didn't support Satellite or their other tools for
machines not on the Internet.)

I have a VPS at work that is connected to some sort of RHEL repos.  yum says something about
Satellite.  That seems to work OK, but all I use is yum.

> Got to agree with Dave, that most of the time, we had to search for&  implement workarounds ...
> which of course ate up valuable time&  man hours.

So I guess I'd have to ask RH to explain the value proposition in using RHEL vs CentOS.  "Support"
isn't the right answer so it would have to be something about their non-free tools.