[clue] What DSL modem(s) do people use?

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Wed Jul 29 15:16:57 MDT 2015

On Wed, 2015-07-29 at 14:36 -0600, Bruce Ediger wrote:
> I'm interested in having control over NAT, as I have a web server, SSH
> server and SMTP server running. I might want to have the modem just
> bridge everything over to a computer with 2 ethernets and do my own
> NAT and firewalling. Also, I'd like to switch off any LAN-side DHCP
> and DHS, handling all that myself.
>
> If one can't get a DSL modem to do that sort of thing, what are my options?

I imagine just plugging the modem into any decent router.  I have a
Buffalo that runs DD-WRT (from the factory) that can pretty much do all
of what you're asking here.  I have multiple routers, all running a
version of DD-WRT.

> Comcast SOHO service? What kind of modem/router does one get for Comcast
> broadband?

Plain ol' cable modem.  They want you to use a DOCCSI 3.x modem.  I had
a perfectly good DOCCIS 2.x that they didn't like, sent me oodles of
mail, email, text messages and voice mail saying I needed to upgrade "to
get the best service possible".  I finally did it, only to find no
noticable change in service other than they now can probably track more
of my activity than with the DOCCIS 2.x modem.

--
Michael J. Hammel <mjhammel at graphics-muse.org>