[clue] Dumb disk question

foo7775 foo7775 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 23 16:30:35 MDT 2015

Hey all, first off, I am _very_ aware that this is a painfully-basic
question, but this has been a rough week, so please bear with me...

   I've been searching for this info for a while now, but my very-tired
brain doesn't appear to be able to format the search terms
appropriately.  What I'm wanting to do is to confirm that a defined disk
(/dev/sdb in this case) is essentially "a raw partition" & doesn't have
any data on it.  If I can confirm that, then I can create the needed
partitions/filesystems & turn it over to the customer.  The 'fdisk'
utility shows me this:

Disk /dev/sdb: 214.7 GB, 214748364800 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 26108 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

    Now I can tell that it doesn't contain any partitions on it (i.e.
sdb1, sdb2, etc.), but I just can't seem to remember how to confirm that
it isn't formatted as a single big partition.  I'd be grateful if
someone could refresh my memory on this...

Thanks,

T.

---