[clue] systemd - uh, wot's the deal?

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Sat Oct 31 10:42:46 MDT 2015

So, having sort of been heads down on doing mostly bog-standard RHEL
stuff (when I do *nix at work, anyway: at home I'm using OSX on laptop,
and FreeNAS and Ubuntu server. There are also other *nixes at work, but
mostly they've been something I've set up and then tend to leave alone
as they don't need care and feeding) I've seen murmurings from the
bowels of the Internet (mostly on Diaspora) about systemd, and that's it
is controversial, etc.

But I don't fully understand all the concerns, counter-arguments in its
favor, etc.

Can anyone point me to some good reading on the topic? I'm also
interested in opinions from the old hands of CLUE, because I know some
people have been using Linux *as* sys- or net- admins for so long (being
mostly dev in my day job, I don't use it quite the same way).