[clue] ZFS on Linux?

Ed Fugikawa fugikawa at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 23:42:25 MDT 2015

A couple years ago I tried FreeNAS which was OK, then switched to NAS4Free
<http://www.nas4free.org/> because it seemed more open. For a lot of things
things I wanted to do I needed to ditch the GUI and use the command line.
As soon as ZFS on Linux was deemed production ready I did some tests then
quickly moved to it using Ubuntu since that distro was preferred by other
projects we were involved with and for many of the reasons mentioned by P
B.   We had ~ 50TB of spinning disks when I left that organization.

I like ZFS because it has good documentation and is pretty straightforward
to use.  The really cool thing about ZFS is you can move a datapool to
another machine with very little effort.  I now use it on my Ubuntu desktop
to keep data and my VMs safe.   -Ed