[clue] ZFS on Linux?

P B witchbutter at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 14:54:44 MDT 2015

I just dismantled my FreeNAS about a year ago and I can confirm it works
very very well.  But basically anything you want to do with FreeNAS can
be done with ZFS on linux with the right packages.  FreeNAS does make a
lot of things easier if you are in a hurry.

I've done a number of setups with zfsonlinux that have worked well for
backup/file solutions.  As far as distro, it is far easier to deal with
ZFS on Ubuntu LTS.  Basically every other distro will break during
various kernel upgrades and it's really not worth the effort of using it
as the root filesystem, but it's excellent for large data partitions.
CentOS is the only other tolerable option.  This is because using ZFS on
linux implies using a special ZFS distributed version of DKMS which will
compile zfs modules every time the kernel is changed.  Every once in a
while a rebuild fails and simply won't work with that kernel.  Kernel
upgrades often also force you to remove and re add the zpool the first
time you boot with that kernel.

I would also say that ZFS works ok as a datastore for virtual machines
although I've seen comparisons that complain about performance issues I
never encountered.  That being said I always set up a SLOG on a a pair
of SSDs because that combined with a huge amount of memory cache (at
least 16GB) improves performance a lot.

I continue to use OpenZFS on OSX with a Mac Pro to store a large amount
of audio files.  I scrub my data every few weeks to verify it and it has
been trustworthy.

I would also say to read the manual pertaining to the software you want
to use because many linux projects do not work on ZFS, most recently I
discovered it's a very poor choice for MongoDB.  This is also true of BTRFS.

BTRFS has been this great promise for years that has never panned out.
3 years ago I attended a SLES 11 release event where they claimed all
kinds of things about what BTRFS was going to be able to do, but as far
as I know it's still not stable now.  I expected with the release of
RHEL 7 that we would hear an announcement about BTRFS being supported
but instead Red Hat chose to support XFS.  That alone should make you
wonder about it's stability.

Also Phoronix has done loads of testing comparing btrfs and ext4 and
repeatedly shown it to perform poorly.
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=search&q=Btrfs