[clue] Self hosting email in 2015

adam bultman adamb at glaven.org
Wed Sep 30 18:40:23 MDT 2015

On 09/30/2015 03:33 PM, Mike Nolte wrote:
> It seems like everyone uses Zimbra, because it's super-easy and does
> everything.  That means it takes a lot more horsepower than, say,
> Postfix.  Mine has webmail, LDAP, multiple domains, and most things
> enabled, and it needs 2GB RAM.  The downside to easy is that it can
> seem magical sometimes, but the upside is that we don't have to care.

You can do a *lot* with pretty minimal hardware, though.  At work, we
had 20,000 inboxes hosted on a single 2 CPU blade, with something like
2GB of RAM.  And it worked very, very well.  I think it hosted webmail
too, ran spamassassin, etc - but didn't host it's own LDAP directory.

And if one's home mail server doesn't scream, who cares, right?