[clue] Self hosting email in 2015

Mike Nolte obiwanmikenolte at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 21:50:00 MDT 2015

Yeah, sure.  And Zimbra does a *lot* compared to "postfix and
courier-imap", not to mention it's 1,000 times more user-friendly.
Hardware is cheap, and we've been using it to compensate for our
deficiencies as programmers and administrators for as long as I've been
computer dorking.

My server doesn't actually host LDAP; it ties into FreeIPA, but that
requires the zimbra-ldap package.  spamassassin is essential, and it's part
of zimbra-mta.  In reality, I'm sure that everyone does what I did, and
they install the whole .rpm (or .deb).  If you actually extract the
contents of that package, though, it contains the individual packages,
which can likely be installed individually, to get only the features that
"the friend" wants.  I wrote that knowing full-well that the OP would
install the whole thing, and they won't be painstakingly poring over the
package installation scripts to figure out exactly what needs to be run and
how.

I don't know that it's a home mail server, but I sure don't care if it
doesn't scream.  It's Yaverot's problem now, and this cider isn't going to
drink itself.