[clue] Ubuntu update to 14.04 LTS kernel = network wonkiness?

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Fri Apr 29 23:14:32 MDT 2016

Had to update Apache in order to do some basic patch duty. For whatever
reason, Apache had kernel upgrade as dependency. So I had a VM snapshot
taken, and took the plunge. Upgrade seemed to go fine: same with reboot,
and apache got updated, too.

Then...we started noticing some problems, and they give all the
appearance of being because of timeouts we get from network being very,
very laggy. Our tool uses dependency management based on Maven, and that
relies on networking, and apparently it is timing out when trying to
reach websites.

Anyone else experience anything like this? New Ubuntu kernel is
3.19.0-58-generic.

Any things to try out?

Another odd symptom that may be a clue for someone that has seen this
before is that if I have a long-running ssh session I haven't used in a
while, it takes a bit to "wake up"? I don't think I've noticed this
before on this box.

For an example of what "slow" means, doing time curl
https://build.shibboleth.net/nexus/content/repositories/releases/ on
this box takes 23.6 seconds. On another machine within same environment,
it takes about 0.04s.

I don't think anything else on network has changed (though I will be
asking around) and this started happening immediately after restart, so
it seems the kernel upgrade and this behavior are related. Do kernel
upgrades on Ubuntu typically change anything related to network?

Cheers,

Sean