[clue] Juju.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Feb 8 18:10:07 MST 2016

Does anyone have any experience with Juju?  https://jujucharms.com/

I asked on BLUG about CM tools for managing a single server. The answer was roughly, "salt, ansible,
whatever, just pick one".

Now I want to do that on a laptop as well.  And I think I'll pick propeller or slaughter.  Probably
propeller because Joey Hess and Haskell.

The hard part though isn't building a config with these tools (at least it shouldn't be at my
stage), it's having a clue what the end looks like and learning enough to figure out the steps.

For example, bootstrapping, which has to come before CM.  There's pre-seeding with d-i, but for
Raspbian I built an image file using debootstrap and some cool formatting tools.  Oh, I guess I
should figure out full disk encryption too at some point.

Anyhow, Juju looks like it pays more attention to services cooperating with each other (so maybe I
can get rid of my dual mysql installs?).  But it also seems to be Ubuntu specific and controlled by
Canonical.  So I'm not going to look at it unless someone says it's the bee's knees or I learn
enough to know it solves a problem I have.