[clue] Using a dedicated partition for VBox install

Levi Darrell levidarrell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 11:21:23 MST 2016

Hi all,

Has anybody had any luck using VBox to install a second system to a
dedicated partition on the host system, rather than a dynamically allocated
virtual hard disk? The reason I want to do this is that my computer has two
drives, a 120 GB SSD to which I have my host Debian system installed, and a
1 TB HDD. As much as I dislike it, I occasionally have to use Windoze. I
have Debian installed on the SSD because it is much faster that way.
However, I don't want Windoze to use any space on the SSD because space
there is limited. I could install Windoze directly to the HDD, but I don't
want to do this because I already have an LFS system installed to the first
partition of that drive, and Windoze will only install to the first
partition of a drive. I'd have to move things around in order to get that
to work. Secondly, I don't want to have to boot in and out of my Debian
system every time I need to use Windoze for something. I want to be able to
use Windoze through VBoxHeadless in a shell console, and then be able to
switch between shell consoles from Debian to Windows.

I installed VirtualBox version 5.0.16 from the VBox website, using the .run
file. I tried installing the .deb package first, but the installation
wouldn't complete because it wanted me to install packages that are no
longer in the repository. The .run installation completed successfully. I
successfully installed the extension pack. I was able to install both
Windows 10 and Windows 7 to a regular virtual hard disk on /dev/sda using
VBox. Everything is working fine.  However, I can't get VBox to install the
machine to /dev/sdb4, which is where I want to install the system.

I tried using the features described in this documentation:
https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch09.html#rawdisk. I tried issuing the
'VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename </path/to/file.vmdk>
-rawdisk /dev/sdb -partitions 4' commands both with and without creating a
copy of the MBR and specifying the path to it (I don't think I should need
this, since I am doing a fresh install of Windoze). I have changed the
permissions to 660 for /dev/sdb, /dev/sdb4, and all of the directories that
would contain the VMDK file. I have changed the ownership of /dev/sdb and
/dev/sdb4, as well as all of the directories, to <myusername>. However, the
result of the command is sometimes 'Segmentation Fault' and sometimes
'Invalid command: 'createrawvmdk'.' I am obviously issuing the command as
<myusername> and not root, which, as I understand it, is proper.

I've searched in various forums and they all indicate this should work, but
all of the comments I have seen are pretty old and by users that are using
versions of VBox 4.0 or older. Is this feature no longer present in VBox,
and if not, is there some other way to accomplish this?

Thanks,

Levi