[clue] Using a dedicated partition for VBox install

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Mar 7 15:36:51 MST 2016

Levi Darrell wrote:
> Thanks for the response.
>
> The reason I am doing it--and let me know if I am making some wrong
> assumptions here--is that I only have 120 GB available on my SSD. When I
> installed Debian on /dev/sda, I didn't set up an LVM, so in order to access
> my 1 TB HDD (/dev/sdb) I have to manually mount /dev/sdb partitions in the
> Debian fs or set up fstab to mount them.  I am assuming that when VBox
> dynamically allocates memory for the Windows system, it will only be able
> to write to /dev/sda, which will use up like half the drive. That's why I
> wanted to force the Windows install on to /dev/sdb4.

VBox will use space in the virtual disk that you create for that VM. So it will only use space in
sda if you put the virtual disk there.

So rather than trying to use sdb (or its partitions) from the VM you can use files and put those
somewhere on sdb. Mounting the relevant partitions is easily accomplished.

>> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
>> than "Re: Contents of clue digest..."

You should notice this advice and follow it. You could also trim your posts but I guess gmail may
not make it easy to do that.