[clue] gpg applications.

Thu Mar 31 18:48:23 MDT 2016

Ed Snowden and Ken Fallon of HPR send gpg-encrypted email.
Does that count?

-------- Original message --------
From: "David L. Anselmi" <anselmi at anselmi.us>
Date: 3/31/2016  6:11 PM  (GMT-07:00)
To: CLUE <clue at cluedenver.org>
Subject: [clue] gpg applications.

Anyone have any apps they use somewhat regularly with gpg keys? Seems like I get motivated to do
gpg, create a key, and then never use it again.

If I were a Debian developer I'd sign packages to upload. But I'm not.

I guess git commits can be signed. But I don't use any repositories that do that (except perhaps
propellor in the near future, which is what brings it to mind).

Oh, I might have a cert I got from StartSSL. At the moment it's good for logging into their system
to get to some web server certs I use. I'm not sure it can be used with gpg though, just with things
that want a CA signed cert.

What else?

I use SSH keys regularly, to access all my machines, and at work to access machines, do git
push/pull, and to use SFTP.

Maybe I should figure out how to use a gpg key with SSH. (It looks like that might be really easy
with gpg 2.1. Wow it took a long time to get there.)

<tangent>
At work we have servers that can generate X.509 and PGP key pairs. The private keys get used
entirely within the server and no one gets to see them.

The PGP keys are used to decrypt files people send us, when they want the files encrypted.

I don't think the X.509 certificates ever get used. But it happens that the page that shows the cert
also shows the public key in SSH2 format. So we use that when the server needs to authenticate an
SFTP connection. And we usually have to convert it to OpenSSH format because that's all anyone uses
and the people who install the public keys don't know how to do it.
</tangent>

Maybe between propellor and ssh I'll get good enough at gpg to actually have a key worth sharing.

For information, account preferences, or to unsubscribe see: