[clue] gpg applications.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Mar 31 19:04:19 MDT 2016

Vishal Verma wrote:
> Signing emails (or encrypting as required) is one thing I use mine
> frequently for. Evolution integrated well with it - you just provide
> your key fingerprint into the mail account settings, and you can
> simply choose sign/encrypt any message in the compose window (you'll
> need to have downloaded public keys of all recipients).

I've done that in the past. In the Navy it is easy to do (with a smart card) and required for some
things.

At work it would be really useful too, for some things. But no one has told people how to do it or
figured out how to share keys. So the data that needs encrypting gets sent via SFTP, or some vendors
send you a "secure email" which really just gives you a link to read the message through their web
app. Oh, and we use gmail which may make keys harder than otherwise.

I don't use keys with email otherwise because no one cares (apparently) if I sign my messages. (You
might want encrypted mail, and I might be easily able to send it to you. But that doesn't give me a
reason to have a private key, which is the part that gets created and then not used.)