[clue] Verisign and Cyveillance

Bruce Ediger bediger at stratigery.com
Wed May 4 20:41:42 MDT 2016

I have Apache log files from my home server going back to early 2009.

An IP address in a Verisign block (69.58.176.0/20) makes two requests
a month, between the 11th and 16th of the month, every month, and has
so since 2009-04-10.

What's up with that?

Also: Cyveillance. Something from one of their many blocks of IP addresses
hits my home server at least once a month, with a User Agent string that
nobody else on earth uses, "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.2)"

What's up with Cyveillance? There's lots of conspiracy type theories about
them, but little hard info. They're not a SEO link thinger like Ahrefs or
MJ12, are they?