[clue] FreedomBox

Dennis J Perkins dennisjperkins at comcast.net
Wed Sep 7 12:01:34 MDT 2016

Has anyone tried FreedomBox?  I just installed it on a Beaglebone Black to see
how well it works.  If you don't know what it is. it's a personal server meant
to protect your privacy.

I'm just starting to explore it, but it has a web interface to make it easy to
use.  That said, many people would feel intimidated by it because they won't
know how to set services up.  Hopefully, this will improve with time but
documentation is sparse and people will need to reference the individual
projects that make up FreedomBox.

It includes Dynamic DNS so you can access it remotely.

The latest version provides the following services:

Anonymity Network (Tor)
BitTorrent (Transmission)
BitTorrent Web Client (Deluge)
Block Sandbox (Minetest)
Bookmarks (Shaarli)
Calendar and Addressbook (Radicale)
        I set this up and tried it with a couple of KDE computers.
Chat Server (XMPP)
Email Client (Roundcube)
IRC Cient (Quassel)
News Feed Reader (Tiny Tiny RSS)
SIP Server (repro)
Virtual Private Network (OpenVPN)
Voice Chat (Mumble)
Web Proxy (Privoxy)
Wiki and Blog (ikiwiki)

OwnCloud used to be part of FreedomBox but was removed because Debian removed
it from their repository.  They are looking for a replacement, such as Seafile.

I think they are looking at Diaspora for social media.