[clue] Filesystems + LDAP permissions???

foo7775 at comcast.net foo7775 at comcast.net
Tue Sep 13 23:16:12 MDT 2016

Hi all,

I've been asked to create a small directory structure & apply permissions to it using LDAP user accounts rather than the "normal" local Linux UID/GID permissions. (My guess is that this may be a test run for a larger effort that will span several servers if successful.)

As requested, I have created the directory structure, added 'ldap' to the nsswitch.conf file, & created the test user accounts/groups in LDAP by using a .ldif file - but at this point, I'm stuck. I really have no idea how to "make the connection/association" between the filesystem structure & the LDAP UIDs/GIDs. I have google'd until my eyes have crossed, I've studied LDAP & I'm reasonably comfortable (at least in *THEORY*) with writing the ACLs in LDAP - but I haven't seemed to find anything that tells me how to connect the two "subsystems". I may be over-thinking it, but I don't know. The OS is RHEL 6.x.

I'd *sure* be grateful for any help that some kind soul could provide...

Thanks in advance.