[clue] Filesystems + LDAP permissions???

Raymond DeRoo rderoo at deroo.net
Wed Sep 14 09:50:14 MDT 2016

Not so sure my reply will be helpful. But I have never worked on a system configured in the fashion you are trying to do. Typically LDAP needs to map to some “local” UID/GID for users to have functional login rights. In a past life, I accomplished this by using LDAP for the authentication, and puppet (now Ansible) to manage which accounts should be on which hosts (physical and virtual). In the end, if files are being stored on linux, we are still limited to user/group/world permission system. If the goal is to get something more fine grained (and I don’t care what anyone says, I’m no Windows lover myself, but Microsoft got file permissioning right with NTFS) then Linux is not proper solution for complex file permission storage.

Personally, I cannot envision any way that LDAP is a single source solution. That being said, I would love to hear about whatever solution you do come up with.

Kind regards,
Raymond