[clue] SATA port multipliers?

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Sun Apr 7 20:40:23 MDT 2019

Can anyone recommend a good way to achieve this in consumer-class
hardware? I have a mobo with 6 SATA ports, but I have 8 drives hooked up
for my NAS (FreeNAS).

I do this via a card that has at least enough ports to add the 7th and
8th drive. However, it seems these drives go offline after some time.
Typically, I have enough time for them to resilver from the last time
they went offline, and then they go offline again. I think a power
off/power on cycle will often "fix" this, but I'd be interested in the
way others deal with getting more SATA ports and/or troubleshooting this
kind of flakiness. When I browse Amazon, it seems most of these types of
cards get really low ratings.