[CLUE-Adm] Speaker Guidelines

Dave Hahn dhahn at techangle.com
Wed Feb 20 17:33:24 MST 2002

I like Lynn's idea of heading people off at the pass and establishing
and fostering an environment of appropriate respect at the get go.
There will always be people that disagree, but how they disagree is the
issue.

I think setting expectations will take care of 99% of the issue.
However, it's the 1% that cause the problem.  At that point, (not to
point a finger directly at Jeff, but...) I expect that they person doing
the introduction of the speaker would be the most appropriate (in the
eyes of the audience, the authority, etc.) to be the first to speak up
in these situations, with the evident support of the rest of us.

Just some more thoughts...

-D

On Tue, 2002-02-19 at 21:30, Dave Anselmi wrote:

    Dave Hahn wrote:

    > Document looks great, well written, needed and very 'jucy'.  :-)
    > However, while we are on the topic...
    >
    > One other thing that seems to happen, but, having been up front a few
    > times, I'm not sure there's a good way to handle it without alienating
    > the audience, is the way and type of questions that are asked *during*
    > a presentation.  Afterward is a different can of worms.

    I understand your concern and agree that our audience can be rude
    (probably unintentionally).

    As far as timing, I'm happy to let the speakers determine whether
    they'll entertain questions during, or only after, the talk.  Some talks
    are more amenable to one or the other.  Perhaps we should encourage
    speakers to consider this and make a statement in the guidelines.
    Certainly if they say something we should enforce their wishes (Jeff C
    will probably be best at this, but I'll try to help too).

    Perhaps talking to the speaker to get a feel for his sensitivity will
    help us determine how heavy handed to be.

    It's probably a good idea to encourage people to keep their questions
    brief and on topic at the beginning of each talk, too.  We run over
    often enough as it is.