[CLUE-Admin] Fwd: You need a mailman update.

Lynn Danielson lynnd at techangle.com
Tue Jun 18 21:12:27 MDT 2002

David Anselmi wrote:
> CLUE President wrote:
>
>>However, does someone want to volunteer to upgrade the mailman version on
>>CLUE server?  If not, what is everyone's opinion about Sean's offer to move
>>the lists to the Tummy server?

I'd rather see mailman stay on our servers for now if we can manage it.
Sean's made this generous offer before.  I've talked to him about how
cool I thought the BLUG archive search feature was and he told me that
it tripled the size of their archives and that he might be running out
of disk space.  That was quite a while ago and the disk space issue may
have gone away.  But since we've been talking about adding a search
feature like this to our archives, it's something to think about and
possibly bring up with him before making a switching.

> I think I can do the upgrade on Friday, if we want to do that instead
> of pass the lists off to Tummy.  Seems easier to do the upgrade to me.

Cool!  I did the original mailman installation on our server and I
thought it was pretty easy.  But it's been long enough ago that I don't
remember much about it.  You might want to check out the archives for
the mailman list.  I haven't been following it, but I know there wasn't
an easy upgrade feature in the past.

Hopefully the archives are compatible between versions.  There is a
utility that came with mailman to read mailboxes into the archive. I
think it handles old archives as well, but I can't remember its name
-- sorry.

> I see that Mailman doesn't have any upgrade instructions, but I think I
> can muddle through.  Here are some things you can answer that may be
> helpful:
>
> I don't quite see how Mailman is run.  By sendmail, I guess.  So is
> there any start/stop procedure or can I just move the old stuff out of
> the way?

Yes, I believe the sendmail aliases trigger mailman's python scripts.
Commenting them out and updating aliases should stop the old version.

> BTW, ps behaves strangely on this box.  I can't get it to list all the
> running processes (even though I can find out a bit from /proc).  Also,
> top segfaults.  Cool.

Not.  If you figure this out, let me know.

> IIRC this is a RedHat box.  Any rpm experts know where to get the right
> rpms?  I'm sure I can find them, but is there a way to get rpms specific
> to (which version of RedHat is this?)

We've compiled up a number of things on this box without worrying about
the RPM database.  You might as well do the same.

my $0.02 -- lynn