[CLUE-Admin] [Fwd: CLUE Web Site Contact Form - Linux, Clue GUI, et al. (Thu Oct 24 2002 12:20 pm)]

Lynn Danielson lynn.danielson at clue.denver.co.us
Thu Oct 24 19:31:03 MDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 16:00, David Anselmi wrote:
> Sigh.  It's true, our contact form validation is naive.  Here's the
> regex it uses:
>
> ereg( '^[A-Za-z0-9._]+\@[A-Za-z0-9_-]+\.[A-Za-z]+$', $from )
>
> which fails if there are more than 2 domain name parts.  It also fails
> the cases listed here:
>
> http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/22.13.html#subj17
>
> Don't know how soon I'll have time to fix it since I'm not up on php regexs.

PHP can support perl regex.  So, you should be able to do something
like:

preg_match( '^[A-Za-z0-9._]+\@(?=[A-Za-z0-9_-]+\.)+[A-Za-z]+$', $from )

A straight forward back reference should work as well, it would just
be less efficient:

ereg( '^[A-Za-z0-9._]+\@([A-Za-z0-9_-]+\.)+[A-Za-z]+$', $from )

This should match Bob Brown's case and other addresses with multiple
domain levels.  Why is the URL an issue?  Does it fail the web page
check?

> At least he liked Jeff's talk.  The Linux history link below looks
> interesting, too.

Sounds like this event went well.  At least one spectator liked it.
I'd be interested in hearing more about the event.  I suspect there
would be others on clue-talk who'd be interested as well.  Care to
share? :-)

Bob's ap headline was topical.  It's a positive follow up to the
the article John Kottal mentioned on clue-talk.

Lynn