[CLUE-Admin] CVS loginfo and MailMan

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Sun Dec 21 15:08:46 MST 2003

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 08:07:45 -0700
Jeff Cann <j.cann at isuma.org> wrote:

> [BTW - It looks like pserver access is no only allowed via ssh?  I tried
> to connect to cvs via 2401 from home workstation and connection was
> refused.  I think it's a good idea to go with ssh tunnel.  But just
> wondered when that changed?]
>
> I set you up for sudo access.    Keep me posted though - as I'm curious
> now for the solution.

Thanks Jeff.

Are you saying you setup an SSH tunnel, or did you use the "ext" method to
connect via SSH? Sounds like the former, but I wanted to be sure. I mean,
using an SSH tunnel would make it look to CVS like a local connection,
right?

Here's what I tried:

[jbaer at robinson tmp]$ export CVS_RSH=ssh
[jbaer at robinson tmp]$ export
CVSROOT=:ext:jsbaer at clue.denver.co.us:/usr/local/cvsroot
[jbaer at robinson tmp]$ cvs checkout site_devel
DSA host key for IP address '216.38.207.181' not in list of known hosts.
jsbaer at clue.denver.co.us's password:
cvs server: Updating site_devel
cvs server: failed to create lock directory in repository
`/usr/local/cvsroot/site_devel': Permission denied
cvs server: failed to obtain dir lock in repository
`/usr/local/cvsroot/site_devel'
cvs [server aborted]: read lock failed - giving up

BTW, Lynn reported that this works for him. The answer, I believe, is in
the /etc/group file, where JeffC, Lynn, and DaveA are members of the CVS
group, but I'm not. I can change that, of course.

But I infer from the above that the only way (without modding the log
script) to get the mail to always come from pubcvs at clue.denver.co.us is to
always access the repository via the pserver, and always use the
CVSROOT/passwd file for authentication. I guess that isn't practical, so
it just reinforces having to modify the log script, which it looks like I
won't get to today.

It also indicates that using the CVS "ext" method for SSH is equivalent to
manually setting up your own SSH tunnel, I think.

BTW, the CLUE server is monstrously slow in responding to SSH requests
right now. Web site response is appropriately snappy, though. Dunno
whether that's of interest.

http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/