[CLUE-Admin] Agenda Items - Important!

El Presidente de CLUE president at clue.denver.co.us
Sat Jan 25 20:03:05 MST 2003

Greetings.

After today's meeting, it is apparent to me that we need to respect the time
of admins more during meetings.  For each admin meeting, I call for
additional agenda items.  Rarely do folks respond with new items and I think
it is because in the past, we have been flexible with the agenda.

Now with a larger group, it is much easier (especially in a public setting)
for us to get off the list on the agenda.  We saw this today and some of the
admins were not happy about it.  I understand this point of view and agree
with it.

The main reasons to stay on the agenda are:
1.  Preparation.  Some folks want to be prepared to discuss an item.  They can
only accomplish this if they know agenda items in advance.

2.  Limited time.  Each member gives a status of his responsibilities.  For
all admins, this takes a significant amount of the meeting time.  To allow
adequate time for larger issues, we need to follow the agenda.  We typically
devote 2 hours to an admin meeting, so this does not leave us much room for
bantering or sidetracks.

3.  Respect.  To me, it's a matter of respect to the group that admins stay on
the agenda given the preparation requirements and limited time.

So, for future meetings, if an item is not on the agenda, we will not talk
about it.  Be warned that I will enforce this rule harshly with the violators
being beaten with a large stuffed Tux doll.

If you have a discussion item you wish to talk about and it is not on the
published agenda, it is up to you to contact me one week before the meeting.
The week requirement allows me to distribute the updated agenda.  If you miss
out on the week deadline, you will have to wait until the next admin meeting.
No exceptions.

If you have questions or comments, please email me directly.

Colorado Linux Users and Enthusiasts (CLUE)
http://cluedenver.org/
Jeffery Cann, President