[CLUE-Admin] Proposed language for email lists . . . please comment

El Presidente de CLUE president at clue.denver.co.us
Sun Mar 16 08:00:06 MST 2003

On Saturday 15 March 2003 09:46 pm, Jef Barnhart wrote:
> yea argument goes like this could have happened by anybody gogleing(sp?)
> the list.

Actually, contrary to popular belief, you cannot obtain the emails of members
from the mailing list archives -- this is a spam-prevention feature in the
later versions of mailman.  For example, Jef's email address as published in
the archives is

"Jef Barnhart clue-admin at clue.denver.co.us"

Here's a link:
 +http://clue.denver.co.us/pipermail/clue-admin/2003-March/001601.html

So, actually, all of the spam bots harvest clue-admin at clue.denver.co.us and
then attempt to post as non-members.  I typically receive 15-30 emails a week
posted to these lists, and they are held for manual approve.  It's a hassle
and once the new CLUE server is ready (Dave?) we are installing SpamAssassin.

Colorado Linux Users and Enthusiasts (CLUE)
http://cluedenver.org/
Jeffery Cann, President