[CLUE-Admin] RE: Fwd: CLUE Web Site Contact Form - denver.co.us domain (Tue May 27 2003 07:59 pm)

El Presidente de CLUE president at clue.denver.co.us
Tue May 27 21:08:34 MDT 2003

On Tuesday 27 May 2003 08:45 pm, rjohnston at techangle.com wrote:
> Not sure, but this is usually the way it happens.
> Whenever we get a hold of him - he declares it working - and after he
> checks whatever he checks, it works.

Roy,

Dave Anselmi identified a descrepancy between the DNS chain of resolution
between clue.denver.co.us and cluedenver.org.

He pointed this out the last time we had a ns outage, but I didn't understand
the details.  He explained again and now it *finally* makes more sense.

To summarize:
1)  DNS0.techangle.com was not answering ns requests for a few hours tonight.
Not sure why, but this is probably your issue.  So clue.denver.co.us requests
went to ta5.techangle.com.

2)  We (as in CLUE admins) need to change the name servers for
clue.denver.co.us to match cluedenver.org - especially since
ta5.techangle.com appears to be dead.

Details below... I'll work with Lynn to get the clue.denver.co.us domain
problem worked out.

Thanks and sorry for the firedrill.  Dammit Jim - I'm a Doctor not a DNS guru!
Jeff

First, I do a host lookup for the name servers for clue.denver.co.us:

$ host -t ns clue.denver.co.us
clue.denver.co.us name server dns0.techangle.com.
clue.denver.co.us name server ta5.techangle.com.

Next, I do the same for cluedenver.org
$ host -t ns cluedenver.org
cluedenver.org name server DNS0.TECHANGLE.COM.
cluedenver.org name server KESSEL.TECHANGLE.COM.
cluedenver.org name server CORELIA.TECHANGLE.COM.

This seems to be a problem.  I think we need to fix the clue.denver.co.us
authoritative name servers to match cluedenver.org.

The problem tonight was that DNS0.TECHANGLE.COM was not answering ns requests.
This is something you probably should look into.

Since DNS0 was not working for clue.denver.co.us, we fell to
ta5.techangle.com.  Here's what ta5.techangle.com says about
clue.denver.co.us and cluedenver.org:

$ host clue.denver.co.us ta5.TECHANGLE.COM
Using domain server:
Name: ta5.TECHANGLE.COM
Address: 216.87.86.177#53
Aliases:

Host clue.denver.co.us not found: 2(SERVFAIL)
$ host cluedenver.org ta5.TECHANGLE.COM
Using domain server:
Name: ta5.TECHANGLE.COM
Address: 216.87.86.177#53
Aliases:

Host cluedenver.org not found: 2(SERVFAIL)

--
Colorado Linux Users and Enthusiasts (CLUE)
http://cluedenver.org/