[CLUE-Admin] Anonymous CVS Access

CLUE President president at clue.denver.co.us
Fri Jan 23 17:41:14 MST 2004

On Friday 23 January 2004 3:09 pm, Jed S. Baer wrote:

> I can't see where I've missed anything. So once again, I'm stumped.

Jed,

I went down this exact same road and ended up putting in the anonymous
password.  I didn't spend a lot of time on it, but IIRC a blank in the
password file didn't work.

I think there is a bug / misfeature with cvs in pserver mode -- the comparison
between the user hitting enter and a null string ("") doesn't work.  This
thread is from last year -- when I looked 4 years ago, I couldn't find squat.

 + http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/info-cvs/2003-04/msg00129.html

It sounds like one method may be to encrypt a null string.  So, for kicks, I
used apache's htpasswd file to generate an anonymous user with blank for a
password -- i.e., I just hit return when prompted:

$ /usr/bin/htpasswd -c test anonymous
New password:
Re-type new password:
Adding password for user anonymous

And to my surprise, there is an encrypted string in my 'test' file:

$ cat test
anonymous:1U/4BN3Z1tgDM

Try pasting in the value after : into the passwd file for the 'password' of
the anonymous user., e.g.,

anonymous:1U/4BN3Z1tgDM:pubcvs

and I bet it will work.

LMK.
Colorado Linux Users and Enthusiasts (CLUE)
http://cluedenver.org/
Jeffery Cann, President