[clue-admin] Virus and a Joe Job

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 16:54:14 MST 2006

On 2/3/06, Jed S. Baer <thag at frii.com> wrote:
> I got a "bounce" message from Postfix, and it appears that maybe what's
> happening it that somebody is sending out bogus CLUE membership e-mails,
> in an attemtp to spread a piece of malware. I dunno what it is, because
> unzip says it's a corrupted zip file.
>
> The "vector" appears as originating from 216.145.68.23, and here are what
> I think are the orginal headers:

>         by clue.denver.co.us (Postfix) with ESMTP id 85DDD5008D
>         for <president at clue.denver.co.us>; Fri,  3 Feb 2006 07:55:42 -0700
> <BR><STRONG>Dear Clue Member, </STRONG><BR>
> <BR>We have temporarily suspended your email account
> president at clue.denver.co.us.<BR>

> Mostly, I wonder how widespread this is. It's kinda tough to imagine a
> spoof such as this going out as just your average type virus. I mean, why
> the CLUE specific message?

I would say it's quite widespread. I get mal-mail of this sort every
day for [fill in the blanks organization]. The orgnaization [banks,
ebay, you name it] changes all the time. The scumbags try their best
to look legitimate, hoping that you will cough up your details. Maybe
you didn't respond to the one masquerading as a bank, but you use
Ebay, so you're tricked into responding.

It's JAS (just another scam).

--
Collins Richey
      Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code ... If you write