[clue-admin] Major Site Update

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Fri Dec 21 11:59:28 MST 2007

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 11:44:58 -0700
David L. Anselmi wrote:

> Jed S. Baer wrote:
> > To avoid the always-a-problem of the Apache rpm postinstall changing
> > ownership of the www directory tree, I finally got around to moving
> > the whole thing to /usr/local.
>
> Sounds good.  If an upgrade mucks with the config file and loses track
> of that location I'd definitely file a bug.  That isn't allowed
> (without admin consent) in Debian.

The upgrade doesn't b0rk the config file. It does create
httpd.conf.rpmnew, so I vimdiff that on occassion, to see if there's
anything I need to change in httpd.conf.

> On the wiki I have installed, dynamic stuff owned by www is in /var/lib
> (there's other stuff there owned by root but not dynamic).  I'm not
> sure what the theory behind /var/www being owned by root is.  And for a
> web site like ours perhaps /srv is better.

/srv? Do I really need to read the FHS? :)

I've always been of the opinion that unless something needs to be owned
by root, it shouldn't be.

> Thanks for the work.

Thanks for the reminder.