[clue-admin] Re: FW: 5410 Mailman moderator request(s) waiting

Jeff Cann jccann at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 20:34:11 MDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 7:59 PM, Jeff Cann <jccann at gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, I will [later tonight] change the settings of each list to not hold
> pending moderator requests.  I'm not sure why I left the default to hold
> moderator requests.

Ok, I did some checking and the ONLY list that did not automatically reject
posts from non-members was the default 'mailman' list.  This is the one that
held the 5K worth of spam messages.  For some reason in mailman 2.x, they
added the 'mailman' list as a default, non-optional list.  I guess I never
gave the configuration much thought since it's not a published list.
Apparently, some idiot spammers are sending to it since it's a well-known
default.

Anyway, we are all set now as all lists, published or not have 'reject' for
the setting for what to do with posts from non-members.  The configuration
variable is 'generic_nonmember_action'.

Here's how I did this for future reference / training:

$ sudo su - root
# cd /var/lib/mailman

-- This for loop will dump the configuration of each mailman list to a file
named <listname>.cfg:

# for l in `ls lists`
  do
     /usr/lib/mailman/bin/config_list -o $l.cfg $l;
  done

-- Check the value for discard non-member posts to confirm all are set to
'3'

# grep generic_nonmember_action *.cfg

clue-admin.cfg:generic_nonmember_action = 3
clue-announce.cfg:generic_nonmember_action = 3
clue-cert.cfg:generic_nonmember_action = 3
clue-members.cfg:generic_nonmember_action = 3
clue-talk.cfg:generic_nonmember_action = 3
clue-tech.cfg:generic_nonmember_action = 3
mailman.cfg:generic_nonmember_action = 3

Read my blog at http://www.isuma.org/