[clue-admin] Future Hosting Plans

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Thu Dec 3 19:44:53 MST 2009

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 19:03:28 -0700
David L. Anselmi wrote:

> Jed S. Baer wrote:
> > On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 17:54:47 -0700
> > Greg Knaddison wrote:
> >
> >> Lots of people dislike Dreamhost
> >
> > /me raises hand.
> >
> > YMMV, and all that. My experience was they sucked.
>
> What?  Availability?  Support?  Performance?  Features?

That was back in 2007. Probably is was a lot of down time.

> > One of the first questions we need to address, before making plans, is
> > how we'll pay for anything.
>
> That seems like the opposite direction from your original post.  But
> sure, we can discuss that.  I'd be up for donating if it was tax
> deductible...

Well, I figured I'd get the ball rolling, and present as much info as I
could. Even though $250/yr seems a small target, I'm not holding my
breath.

> > Our VPSLink account is $250/year.
>
> So dreamhost is less than half that.

Shared vs. VPS. Different duck.

> They do free hosting for non-profits.  We've said the paperwork isn't
> worth it but perhaps we could farm it out amongst several.  Is it worth
> $200+?  Is it worth what I'd be inclined to contribute?

http://www.wikihow.com/Start-a-501c3-Nonprofit-Organization

Ugh!

--
Ok, so we should be thinking of a lovable, cuddly, stuffed penguin
sitting down after having gorged itself on herring. Still with me?