[clue-admin] CLUE Charter 0.0.1 2010-12-20

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Mon Dec 20 18:38:48 MST 2010

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 10:29:40 -0700 (MST)
David L. Willson wrote:

> I'm still looking for input, but here it is, after considering all
> suggestions.

Thank you, David.

> The one suggestion made that I feel is worthy of deep thought, is that
> perhaps the scope of CLUE's Charter should go beyond Linux to "free
> software" or "open source". I think it's a great idea, but it might be
> better implemented as a new club, rather than a change of mission for
> CLUE. At any rate, I think it's a great something to ponder/discuss.

Given that the -Tech mailing list is open to any FOSS technical topic, I
think we're de-facto exceeding the scope of Linux already, though the
boundaries are perhaps fuzzy. I wouldn't want to, e.g., get discussions on
administering Apache on Win7.

My thoughts on focus have more to do with overlap, and how I think CLUE
fills a void. I probably will never join an Apache mailing list or admin
group, because I so infrequently need any questions answered in that
area. But the CLUE-Tech list works well for me in that regard. I could
say the same about Perl, Postfix, and various other FOSS products.

I suppose I could ask Lynn, but I'm not sure there was ever any intent to
be strictly restrictive to Linux. But CLUE is a more memorable acronym
than CFOSSUE. :)

> CLUE Officers will be elected by show of hands at the January meeting
> each year.

If there are going to be elections, then there ought to be at least
mention of whether election is by plurality or majority, and what
constitutes a quorum. A word about canditate selection too, perhaps?

--
Ok, so we should be thinking of a lovable, cuddly, stuffed penguin
sitting down after having gorged itself on herring. Still with me?