[clue-admin] ZNZ relegated to the dustbin of trashed ideas

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Dec 24 17:56:02 MST 2010

YES NOPE9 wrote:
> It has been made clear that Crawford and Jed are the CZARs of hosting and
> that they have decided to extend VPS hosting for 6 months.
> No vote.
> No indication of who was consulted.

The people who have been running the server have put together a plan to keep running it.  It seems
obvious to me that their plan *will* close.

Feeling put out won't accomplish anything.

Put together an alternate plan, that will close by about 3 Jan, and we'll have something to consider.

An alternative should provide the appropriate web pages, mail lists, and mail archive.  It should be
validated as usable by those running the group.  I haven't seen a plan for that, much less a plan
that will close.

If you can't be done by 3 Jan, you have six months to try again, hopefully with the help of others
in the group.

You're welcome to show me what you have so that I can understand how ideal a solution it is.  But
that won't be possible before about the 1st.

I'm sorry if that seems like setting the bar too high.  I'm not spending time doing server work,
beyond sending a check, in the next 2 weeks.  So I'm not moving things or checking alternatives.

> The vote on tags will most probably become an exercise in futility.

I don't plan to use tags.  So you can blame me when it fails.  Manual effort by everyone to support
mail classification seems silly.  If we want classification we should make it automatic.

> What Crawford and Jed want, they will get.

In the 3 meetings we had recently I tried to steer away from a discussion about *how* things should
be done and to focus on *what* had to be done.  The people doing things will decide how, and trying
to tell them how is likely to limit who is willing to try.

Unseating an incumbent though takes more than doing something new.  A new hosting solution probably
has to be shown to be better, somehow, than what we have.  But a new poster is better than what we have.

> That's okay with me   .... I am more clear on what is a waste of time to
> pretend to discuss or what is really not thrown open to innovation.

I think you're wrong.

> I will continue with my CLUE poster development and see what I can learn
> about running installfests ( by observing David Anselmi ).  I will help
> with Drupal if invited by the Drupal CZAR.

Thanks.  I appreciate what you've done.