[clue-admin] On Drupal (forking: CLUE steering meeting)

Dennis J Perkins dennisjperkins at comcast.net
Wed Nov 17 21:33:39 MST 2010

I've found modules for captchas, antispam, and calendaring.  There's
also one for obfuscating email addresses to confuse programs that are
scraping websites.  Might be useful.

I think it would be a good idea to require members to register in order
to post to forums.  Registering could be complete at that point, require
admin approval or reply to an email acknowledging a registration
request.  I prefer the email method.

I'd rather not require moderators unless we have a problem with posts.

On Wed, 2010-11-17 at 16:37 -0700, Crawford Rainwater wrote:

> Pardon the fork, but I figured it might be helpful.
>
> Comments about Drupal and some answers to Dennis' questions below.  Linux ETC uses Drupal with PostgreSQL (formally MySQL, but we are migrating off of that) back ends since the late v4.x days.  Our current web site is a "simple" Drupal one for reference with quite a few things "hidden" to the general public.

I happened to use PostgreSQL when I installed Drupal on my computer.
Why did you drop MySQL?

> ----- dennisjperkins at comcast.net wrote: -----
> >
> > We might have a second meeting too. Regarding our current setup, I
> > know we have an email server and a web server and something written in
> > PHP. Drupal is written in PHP and needs a database; either MySQL or
> > PostgreSQL will do. If we migrate, what needs to be moved?
> >

> Basically a "cut and paste" job of "current" site to Drupal site I suspect.  I would personally and professionally suggest PostgreSQL for the DB back end.  A basic static site could be up (does not include the MailMan side) fairly quickly.

I've found that it is very easy to set up blogs and forums.  I don't
know yet how to organize blogs for easy access.

> > I want to see about having the forums and mailing lists work together.
> > That might be the most difficult part.
> >

> Possible to do via Drupal.  Greg, feel free to chime in here some for more specifics.

I've found two modules that should work.  It does require some email
server tweaking to make it work.