[clue-admin] Future Web Site

Raymond de Roo rderoo at deroo.net
Wed Feb 15 09:23:49 MST 2012

David--

> I think I disagree. I think web folks don't need to worry about email. If I haven't said so out loud already, I think separating email server from web server is a good idea, or at worst, a neutral idea.
>
> It seems to me that it could go something like this: a motivated web-dude puts up a new web-site, on a web-server with sufficient resources for his platform of choice. We love it. We re-point the A records and call it good. The MX record remains un-changed until someone changes it. Or have I misunderstood something this basic all these years?
>
> Then, someone raises the point that the web-site is on a single-spindle POS in someone's basement, and do we really want to do it that way, at which point, we copy the thing to RDR's mega-box, add another A record and call it better. The MX record continues to trundle along happily. Yes? No?

I believe you are mixing a technical and financial issue. From a purely technical stand point you are correct. However if the box currently in use costs $15/mth ( round numbers based upon what I remember ) and a Drupal capable machine is also $15, can we get one single machine which can handle both for $30? Again, I'm just looking at this from a cost perspective. Now, I will offer the use of my box free of charge for at least one year. I'm not looking to make money from CLUE, nor do I feel it is wrong for DavidA to be compensated for out of pocket expenses he had ( and continues to ) incur. But as for myself. I pay for the connectivity, I pay for the electricity, if CLUE wishes to make use of it, fine. If not... I still pay for it anyways. It's sits at the end of a "business level" Comcast  line with a fixed IP.

> Advantage of the -admin list: Being able to be blunt, or RDR-blunt, which is a whole different kind of blunt. :-)
> Disadvantage of the -admin list: Lurk-listen-and-learn much less likely here.

That's an issue which others need to weigh for themselves. I think in the email set to subscribers there should be a disclaimer of "Think skin mandatory." That does not mean I feel we should allow the flagrant bashing of others, but at the same time I feel no one has the right to become upset because another states "No, I think you're wrong. This is why..."

At least I'm not offended by this email, let's get the issues out there and solved.

Raymond