[clue-admin] git.

Raymond DeRoo rderoo at deroo.net
Fri Feb 17 15:53:53 MST 2012

Dave--

( I got the name right this time. :)

>> I believe there are two camps of thought wrt the CLUE website.
>>
>> a) Keep the current site/code base, move it to git and update.
>>
>> b) Switch to a CMS based ( drupal ) CLUE website.
> So I wouldn't say they are two camps.  Moving to git is an incremental improvement in the deprecated
> solution.  If Drupal takes a really long time we may find ourselves asking, why did we want to do
> that again?  But many people think that the current pages are too hard for our current membership to
> maintain so Drupal is needed to get a broader pool of people who can do the work the group needs
> done[1].

I see drupal and git as mutually exclusive for CLUE. Putting the drupal
source into git makes no sense, drupal already has a repository on
github. If we *really* wanted to modify the inner workings of drupal (
and not just make a module ) then we would be better of forking it on
github and allowing patches to be contributed back if any of them are
found worthwhile. It also will make rebasing our branch with the trunk
*much* easier. As for any "versioning" needed for a drupal based site.
mysqldump on a daily basis ( perhaps even weekly depending upon the rate
of change ) will provide all that is needed. That along with a simple
rsync script to distribute offsite versions ( backup and/or development
), and we're all set.

>   >  Personally I am much more interested in option (a), addtionally it makes
>   >  the "basement hosted" solution *much* easier.
>
> I guess other ideas, like basement hosting, might unseat Drupal if they are pushed hard enough.  And
> I think we can pursue that whether or not Drupal goes forward, so don't throw in the towel.  But my
> work on git is not intended to be a referendum on the Drupal decision.

I was not seeing your git work as a referendum on anything. Merely an
opportunity to let others access the source code and tweak it if they so
desire. Committing back... that's a different discussion.

> Does that make sense?

As I said above, git for drupal makes no sense to me. git for the
current website sounds like an excellent idea. Having people learn a
basic amount of HTML ( not even PHP ) to update text on the website
sounds reasonable to me, but I understand that not everyone may hold
that opinion, which is fine.

I am very interested in the basement hosted solution, regardless of the
website choice. But I am trying to sway individuals towards working
with/updated the existing site as that will be *MUCH* easier to basement
host, and will perform better and more consistently on the various
hardware platforms individuals are likely to use.

Raymond