[CLUE-Cert] Some more on PVR HW

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.net
Wed Apr 7 11:01:56 MDT 2004

Been looking at a few things at PC Club in Broomfield, and came across
these boxes from MSI (though the store only had the first one):

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=MEGA_651&class=mega
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=MEGA_180&class=mega
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=MEGA_865&class=mega

The last two will be in the US in a few weeks per MSI.  Save a TV/video
capture card, looks like this has most of the HW built in, save HD,
CD/DVD, RAM, and CPU.  The price at PC Club was $299.99 + tax for the
Mega 651 for reference, but after R&D'ing MSI's site, I rather go for
the 865 personally (have a spare P4 chip to use as well being the other
reason).

The differences between the 180 and 865 aside AMD vs. Intel
(respectively) is that the 865 also has 6- and 4-pin 1394 built in as
well, so I am guessing a slightly higher price on that one vs. the 180
models.

I think if there are some serious gamers and PVR folks out there, this
would be definitely a nice toy for both!  Properly Linux'ized of course.
;-)

--- Crawford
--
The Linux ETC Company