[CLUE-Cert] DVR & digital broadcasts

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Wed Jul 28 16:12:30 MDT 2004

On 07-28 11:10, Mark G Harvey wrote:
> Hopefully the precidence set two decades ago (court ruling on VCRs &
> music cassettes) will overide the Digital Copyright Enforcement Act
> that the RIAA is using to hammer people.

I honestly doubt it will be that easy. Like Dennis said, utter "digital" (or
for that matter, "network", "internet", etc.) and people lose their heads.

Patents are being awarded for just that reason, really. Look at Ebay: they
had to pay out to another company just because of *how* dutch auctions are
conducted, IIRC. Plenty of other examples abound.

I doubt it will be easy to slow down DMCA, super-DMCA, etc...

> A lot depends on the influence the RIAA & others are literally buying
> in this year of campaigns.  (We really need campaign finance reform.
> Trouble is the people who would come up with the new laws are the
> ones who benefit from the current situation.  Gee ... do ya think
> they will cut themselves off to all that cash?  Not likely.)

Notice that both major parties did a nearly immediate run-around. Are they
called 503's? I forget....anyway, moveon.org is the mouthpiece of the DNC,
no question. The GOP has their mouthpieces, too, I'm just not sure who they
are.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at comcast.net
The key to a good deal in life is not making a big deal about anything.