[CLUE-Members] Re: Duplicate new member emails

Lynn Danielson lynnd at techangle.com
Thu Sep 11 15:51:51 MDT 2003

Collins Richey wrote:

>FYI,
>
>I received two new member notifications for Clue-members..., very much
>the same but different passwords.
>
>Are you confused also?

Yeah, my apologies.  I wasn't sure the aliases were installed at the time
I first subscribed every one.  So, I did it again.  Please use the password
in the second email as that's the current one.

It also occurs to me that none of you are (or likely will be) using your
firstname.lastname at cluedenver.org to identify yourselves in your
email client.  Since I signed everyone up with these aliases, you won't
be able to post to the list without approval.  What I want to do to rectify
this is to subscribe everyone one more time with the preferred email
address you gave me.  I will hide these addresses and set them to not
receive mail.  That way you should be able to post to the list using your
preferred email address without getting duplicate emails.

The next question I have for everyone is -- how worried are you about
email address havesting?  While your address is hidden to some
extent from non-list members, I had planned to make the list archives
public.  This would allow everyone (including non-list members and
robots) to harvest email addresses.  This is already happening on the
other lists, but I'm willing to change the policy for this list if you
don't want this to happen.

Here are four solutions in order of my diminishing preference:
 1. Don't archive the list.
 2. Make the archive private.
 3. Drop the complaining members email address from the list.
 4. Replace the poster's address with the mailing list address.

So, if you don't complain, I'll assume it's ok to add your email
addresses to this list and leave the archives publicly accessible.
If you object to this, please contact me know directly and let
me know which solution(s) you'd like to have implemented.

Sorry for any confusion.  Please realize that the whole membership
program is a work in progress.  Your input, especially at this early
stage, is welcome.

Thanks,

Lynn Danielson
CLUE Membership Coordinator