[CLUE-Talk] KDE 2.0

Jeffery C. Cann jccann at home.com
Sat Nov 11 22:17:16 MST 2000

Greetings.

Has anyone tried KDE 2.0?  I just downloaded the Slackware packages and I
must say that I am totally impressed.

I can jettison Netscape in favor of:

	Konqueror for web browsing (java, javascript, cookies, etc.)
	KMail for email (finally message threads, PGP, GPG)
	KNode for newsgroup reading

I have been trying the Mozilla builds and I like what I see except that it
seems to have bloated up so much and it is almost as slow as NS 4.75 on my
P2/350 with 384 MB.

In addition, the beta release of KOffice is part of the core KDE 2.0.  For my
limited needs, I think I can replace Star Office with KOffice.  I like S
Office, but I rarely use 98% of the functionality and so I find their
'everything in one place' philosophy does not suit my needs.  KOffice is like
MS Office - you have embedded parts that are shared within applications, but
the applications themselves are separate.

Finally, for you theme freaks -- KDE 1.2 has supported themes and KDE 2.0
takes this a step further.  The desktop look and feel is updated and advanced
beyond the 'hackers look' of KDE 1.x.

Check it out!  If you are a KDE user, you'll be happy.  If you haven't tried
KDE in a while, give the new version a whirl.

Later,
Jeff

--
jccann [at] home [dot] com