[CLUE-Talk] license questions

Jeffery C. Cann jccann at home.com
Fri Nov 17 08:47:56 MST 2000

On Thursday 16 November 2000 15:14, Brandon N wrote:

> Actually, that isn't true, the author can change the license at any time

This statement is false.  The entire point of the GPL is that our software
freedoms are protected even if the author wants to later change his mind
about the license.  Once it is released under the GPL, there is no going
back, no changing of minds, no revocation by the author.

If you are a software author and have *any* reservations about future
revocation than you should not release your code under the GPL.

According to the 'What is Free Software?' article:

"In order for these freedoms to be real, they must be irrevocable as long as
you do nothing wrong; if the developer of the software has the power to
revoke the license, even though you have not given cause, the software is not
free."  (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html)

I do not believe that the Sendmail License fully qualifies as a free license.
 It is not specifically listed on the GNU site of licenses.  Likely the
Sendmail License has not been specifically evaluated by FSF.  If it were
evaluated, I think it would fall into the category of 'GPL Incompatible Free
Software Licenses'

(http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html#GPLIncompatibleLicenses)

In section 1 (b) of the Sendmail license:

"Redistributions are accompanied by a copy of the Source Code or by an
irrevocable offer to provide a copy of the Source Code for up to three years
at the cost of materials and delivery."

This expiration date of 3 years would apper to violate the four tests of a
free software license.

These 4 tests are:  (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html)

"The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0). The freedom to
study how the program works, and adapt it to your needs (freedom 1). Access
to the source code is a precondition for this. The freedom to redistribute
copies so you can help your neighbor (freedom 2). The freedom to improve the
program, and release your improvements to the public, so that the whole
community benefits. (freedom 3). Access to the source code is a precondition
for this.

For those interested I would recommend they study the philosophy of the Free
Software Foundation (http://www.gnu.org).

Jeff

--
jccann [at] home [dot] com