[CLUE-Talk] Question about FIPS

Lynn Danielson Lynn.Danielson at clue.denver.co.us
Wed Jan 24 18:56:24 MST 2001

John H Swaby wrote:
> Does anyone have experience using the FIPS disk partitioning program?
> A friend of mine has RedHat 6.2...it comes with FIPS..., Version 2.0
>
> How well does it work?  Any "gotchas" to watch out for?  Should he
> use it on a Windows 98 machine?

FIPS version 1 is not FAT32 compatible, but version 2 is.  The last
time I checked both versions were being included with Red Hat.
Make sure you use version 2.

Also, I believe FIPS will free up all available space on your FAT
partition.  So if you want to have some free disk space left on
your Win98 partition after using FIPS, I'd recommend you first
create a junk file as large as the space you want to reserve under
Win98.  Then follow Grant's suggested steps.  Then delete the junk
file.

Lynn Danielson