[CLUE-Talk] brief intro & cable/DSL recommendations

Warren warren at guano.org
Tue Oct 16 18:37:31 MDT 2001

Ed hill <ed at eh3.com> wrote:

Eh> ...so I'm hoping cable is better... What do y'all consider to be the
Eh> best deal?

I have @Home cable and am pretty happy with it.  I'm very pleasantly
SURPRISED, actually, because I expected crappy service and support.

I couldn't tell you the claimed bandwidth, but in practical terms I just
downloaded a 104MB file in 11 minutes, 30 seconds flat.  That works out
to around 1.2Mbit/second.  Whoa!  Wait a sec, lemme do the math again...

104MB x 8 bits/byte / ( (11 min x 60 sec/min) + 30 sec) = 1.2Mbit/sec

Someone check my math for me.

If you have line-of-sight to Eldorado Mountain, you might want to look
at Sprint Broadband, (http://www.sprintbroadband.com).  That means an
external antenna.

I'll let other list members talk about the DSL providers, but there are
some like Front Range Internet (http://www.frii.com), American ISP
(http://www.americanisp.net), and Rockynet (http://www.rockynet.com).

--

 </W>