[CLUE-Talk] [Fwd: FW: [Fwd: NBC's 75th Birthday Celebration!]]

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Thu Apr 25 17:45:07 MDT 2002

On Thu, 25 Apr 2002 17:15:53 -0600
Steve Fry <clue at ir3w.com> wrote:

> Kirk Rafferty wrote:
> > Wow.  So now the question is, how did your email address wind up on
> > their list?  You've obviously been targeted either by 9News or the
> > marketing agency as a Colorado resident.  Wonder how much more they
> > know about you?
>
> FYI - here's their reply (from yet another person at 9-News) when I
> asked how my name got on their list.

>    From: "Carter, Steve" <steve.carter at 9news.com>
>      To: <steve at ir3w.com>
>
> Hi Steve,
>    Your email was evidently on a list that fit the demographic we asked
> our
> marketing company to target.  I have no idea how these lists are
> derived.
> Again, I apologize for this.
> -Steve

If 9News subbed this out, then in fact, they probably didn't pass on your
e-mail addy. Ask them specifically which marketing company they used - it
might even be the Ronin Dev people, who might in turn be subscribers to
various other companies who supply (supposedly) targeted mailing lists.
You can continue to follow the trail, and it might eventually lead you to
the culprit. You should ask yourself how many business know your e-mail
address. Where else might it be found? Do you post to any online forums
(like the clue lists - which are accessible via a web interface)? I
suspect most of the spam I get comes from my whois record. Usenet is
another good source (for the harvesters, that is.)

Later,
jed

--
Fight the CBDTPA: http://www.eff.org/alerts/20020322_eff_cbdtpa_alert.html

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men,
 undergo the fatigue of supporting it." - Thomas Paine