[CLUE-Talk] Alternatives to Q-worst.

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Sat Aug 17 08:40:35 MDT 2002

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002 19:50:21 -0600 (MDT)
Ryan Kirkpatrick <ug at rkirkpat.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Jed S. Baer wrote:
>
> > So, given that AT&T broadband service isn't available here, what are
> > my options for an internet connection? Has anyone had any luck with
> > dialup over mobile phone?
>
> 	I would recommend checking out SpeakEasy/Covad (ISP/ILEC), they
> can get you a high speed DSL line and you never have to deal with Qworst
> at all. Where I live, I am only able to get IDSL

I could get IDSL, but only through Q-worst. It ain't exactly cheap either.

A couple other items, as followup ...

Currently, the connect speed available via mobile phone is 14400 bps. Now,
I remember when that seemed waaaaay fast, but those days are long gone.
I'm told there will be 56K mobile phones later this year.

http://www.unstrung.com/document.asp?doc_id=19889 -- Seems that high-speed
wireless is on the way. Doesn't sound any better (might be slower?) than
Sprint or MileHigh Online (IIRC, both of those require line-of-sight).

Much to my surprise, Q-worst actually fixed the line quality problem
within 3 hours of my reporting it. It took them a week and a half to
actually move my phone number, though.

jed

--
We're frogs who are getting boiled in a pot full of single-character
morphemes, and we don't notice. - Larry Wall; Perl6, Apocalypse 5