Iraq [was Re: [CLUE-Talk] Slashdot Gun Control]

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at americanisp.net
Mon Dec 16 21:22:19 MST 2002

On 12-16 17:32, Matt Gushee wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 03:11:38PM -0700, David Willson wrote:
> > - Iraq has been ordered not to have them, and to submit to searches
> > which will "prove" that they do not have them.
>
>  * Israel has been ordered many times to cease occupying Palestinian and
>    has repeatedly flouted those orders; yet the flow of US military aid
>    (something like $3 billion per year) continues unchecked. In the
>    1980s, the US was ordered to stop mining Nicaraguan harbors, and
>    flat-out refused to comply. The Bush administration recently badgered
>    the UN into exempting all US citizens from the jurisdiction of the
>    World Criminal Court.

I agree with your point about Israel; it's about time we cut funds for that
debacle, but how to do it w/o leaving the Israelis up the creek w/o a
paddle? I wonder if a better solution would be to somehow annex some of our
country for a "New Israel" - only where the locals agree, of course,
redirect the 3 billion to that, and invite Israelis to come on over and
re-form their country on a chunk of land here...I know it's a stretch, but
it sure beats WWIII. Sometimes extreme problems require extreme solutions.

As for the world court, I couldn't agree more with the Bush administration
on this. We have a fine court system of our own, why should our system play
second fiddle to a world court? Seeing how effective the UN has been, I can
only imagine how the world court would play out. I mean, kicking US off the
human rights commission? And the fact that Sudan was even an OPTION for a
replacement is laugable, if it wasn't such a travesty:

http://www.hrw.org/press/2001/05/unvote0503.htm

Sudan is still practicing *slavery*:
http://www.hrw.org/backgrounder/africa/sudanupdate.htm

I can only assume from actions like this that the world court would only be
used to "send messages" to the U.S.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at americanisp.net
http://users.americanisp.net/~seanleblanc/
Get MLAC at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mlac/
I have a higher and greater standard of principle. Washington could not lie. I
can lie but I won't.
-Mark Twain, in the Chicago Tribune, 20 Dec 1871