Iraq [was Re: [CLUE-Talk] Slashdot Gun Control]

Kevin Cullis kevincu at orci.com
Mon Dec 16 23:00:01 MST 2002

If you want to know how the Palestinians view antiquities, see this
site:

THE DESTRUCTION OF THE TEMPLE MOUNT ANTIQUITIES

http://www.jcpa.org/jl/vp483.htm

As one who's undergrad degree is in History and cringed when the Taliban
blew up the large Budda carved into the rock in Afganistan, I deplore
these atrocities.  I could go on, but I'll leave it to you all to take a
stand at some point.

Matt Gushee wrote:

>  * Israel has been ordered many times to cease occupying Palestinian and
>    has repeatedly flouted those orders; yet the flow of US military aid
>    (something like $3 billion per year) continues unchecked. In the
>    1980s, the US was ordered to stop mining Nicaraguan harbors, and
>    flat-out refused to comply. The Bush administration recently badgered
>    the UN into exempting all US citizens from the jurisdiction of the
>    World Criminal Court.
>
>    None of this excuses Saddam Hussein from the consequences of whatever
>    he may be doing. And it may be that we need to do something about him
>    for the sake of US national interests or on other purely pragmatic
>    grounds. But given our record, I don't see how we can talk about
>    international law with a straight face.

Kevin