[CLUE-Talk] Fourth Amendment? Anyone? <-- U.S. down theTubes !

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Fri Jan 4 17:06:14 MST 2002

On Friday 04 January 2002 01:36 pm, you wrote:
> No offense meant, but can we be done with this topic now?  I don't share
> this political stance, and it's very irritating to watch the
> me-too-fest.  I don't want to cause further disruption of the list by
> saying "not me" and then having to defend my position for several
> messages.  Can we stick to promoting Linux, rather than liberal
> politics?

Dave,

As the person who started this thread, I have to disagree.

states (and has not been changed since its inception):

"The CLUE talk list is open to any discussions of a non-technical nature that
may be of interest to LUG members. This includes, but is not limited to,
Linux advocacy, political activism, news bites, job postings and hardware
sales or exchanges."

So, to those folks who want the thread marked OT, I have to apologize, but my
post is certainly not OT, based on this description.

Now, on to my reasons for posting it:

The decision by the judge affects Linux and all folks who use computers
because our government is eroding our 4th amendment rights (to be secure in
our homes without undue searches and seizures), with respect to our specific
rights of the use of our personal computers.

Liberal politics aside, my feeling is too many of us are asleep at the wheel
with respect to our civil liberties, in particular our constantly eroding
DIGITAL civil liberties.

We have an obligation as members of a democracy to be informed of the
decisions which our elected leaders make on our behalf.  I am not happy with
this decision (although a judge is appointed, they are retained by election)
and wanted to share this unhappiness with those other activists who read
CLUE-Talk.

The first recourse when we are unhappy with a decision is to learn the facts
and then discuss them with others to ascertain their thoughts.  Then we can
rely those thoughts to other elected officials in hope that our voices will
be heard.

Promoting Linux is about promoting (and defending) freedom.  I understand if
you disagree with some of the posters comments.  Luckily, you are free to
ignore this thread or free to unsubscribe from clue-talk.

Take care,
Jeff